Sunday, January 28, 2007

A virtual second life

After my vent on Friday, I decided to go and try something different. As I have mentioned before I am not much into graphical games. Yet I have been hearing a lot about Second Life. Second Life really isn't a game. It is a Second Life! Kinda like: What does an ant do? Answer: be an ant. There is no real objective, it is just like having an avatar of 'you' in a virtual world (grid).

Second Life is a 3-D virtual world entirely built and owned by its residents.
What is Second Life?
I have only been looking at it since Friday, and I don't have the greatest graphics card, nor Internet connection. Yet so far I'm impressed, and I am enjoying my experience. The client is Open Source. I'm using the alpha Linux version of the client, and it has preformed very nicely. Especially given the limitations of my system (I have never needed a big graphics card in the console :|).

It is interesting to see the interactions between people, and how many people think that it is all about talking in a virtual chat-room. One thing that does annoy me is the currency in there, and how hard it is to come by at first. I can see how you can make money once you have money, but it only comes in trickles at first, (Especially if you don't have a pay-pal account like me). Kinda like the First Life ;)
Other than that I am really having fun. I can see many potentials, and I have already started to learn how to script it *blush*.
If what to join in and have a look. It is interesting to see where all this is going. Have Fun!

0 comments: