Thursday, January 18, 2007

FreeBSD 6.2

I have been playing with FreeBSD 6.2. I loaded it into a virtual machine, only a minimal install, with required sets, man pages, src all and the ports. The images are screen shots of my first boot:

I've mostly been exploring the OpenBSM tools. This is how I enabled Security event auditing;

# cp /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC /sys/i386/conf/GOKU
# vi /sys/i386/conf/GOKU

added:
option AUDIT
Then built my new kernel:
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=GOKU

# male installkernel KERNCONF=GOKU
# reboot

Then I went through the following man pages: auditreduce(1), praudit(1), auditpipe(4), audit.log(5), audit_class(5), audit_control(5), audit_event(5), audit_user(5), audit_warn(5), audit(8), auditd(8)

After playing around with the tools for a while, I made a small jail, and tested the stability and securelevels. Securelevels are easy in 6.2; you just add the -s option to specify a jail's securelevel.
Then I played around with some of the new command options. The traceroute(8) has a number of new options, which are really useful. I like that freebsd-update(8) is now part of the base system. It saves me installing it every time.

I haven't yet installed the ports and played with any contributed software, as FreeBSD 6.2 is playing up in VMware badly (As you can see by the date in the second image, above). So I am going to install it on another hard drive. I would like to build a desktop on it again. Over all I like FreeBSD 6.2, I can't wait to play with it some more. I am glad that a lot of the 6.1 bugs have been fixed. I hope to have more fun with it again soon.

0 comments: