Saturday, January 20, 2007

VMware server on Ubuntu

I installed VMware server into Ubuntu 6.06 server today. It is really easy to install. These are the steps that I took:

Configuring Ubuntu:
First I did a server install of Ubuntu. Nothing fancy just a simple install. Then some simple configuration, first adding a root account, and su to root:
$ sudo passwd root
$ su

Then I added OpenSSH server:
# apt-get install openssh-server
# vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Next I updated the system:
# vi /etc/apt/sources.list
Commented-out: the CD, and added: The dapper universe sources
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade


Hardening System:
I added a simple firewall (see iptables howto for info on building a firewall rulset):
# vi /etc/init.d/iptables
# chmod +x /etc/init.d/iptables

Then removed some uneeded files:
# rm -f /etc/issue.net
# rm -f /etc/issue
# touch /root/.hushlogin
# touch /home/illy/.hushlogin
# touch /etc/skel/.hushlogin


Installing needed applications:
Then I installed some applications which the VMware install will require:
# apt-get install linux-kernel-headers libx11-6 libx11-dev libxtst6 xlibs-dev xinetd
# apt-get install gcc binutils-doc cpp-doc gcc-4.0-locales make manpages-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool flex bison gdb gcc-doc gcc-4.0-doc libc6-dev-amd64 lib64gcc1


Installing VMware Server:
First create Directory where virtual machines will be installed. I already created mine in the install on a separate partition: /vm
Download VMware Server from: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/. You will need: VMware Server for linux (Binary tar.gz). And either the VMware server client package for windows or linux, depending on which you are going to use it on. You can also go on and install the Management Interface, yet I only want the server.
Then Install VMware:
# tar xvfz VMware-server-*.tar.gz
# cd vmware-server-distrib
# ./vmware-install.pl

Then just follow each step. It is explained quite well.

And there you have it VMware server. I can now install the client on my desktop and connect to the server and create new virtual machines. For a full Tutorial on this process please see: How To Install VMware Server On Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.

0 comments: