Friday, January 19, 2007

FreeSBIE 2.0

FreeSBIE 2.0 was released on Monday 15th January. So I downloaded it to have a look. What is FreeSBIE? From the Developers;

"FreeSBIE is a LiveCD based on the FreeBSD Operating system, or even easier, a FreeBSD-based operating system that works directly from a CD, without touching your hard drive. We also develop a simple to use and easily extendable toolkit used for the creation of the CD. This toolkit can also be used to make embedded images a-la miniBSD or nanoBSD."
I loved working with FreeSBIE 1.1 I have used it many times, and handed it out to lots of people to try.
Unfortunately I haven't had the best luck with FreeSBIE 2.0. It didn't run well in VMware, the problems are known "FreeBSD VMware" issues, so I'm not blaming FreeSBIE developers for that.
However I didn't have much fun just running it from my normal workstation either. It took ages and ages to boot (over 3Min's). Once it had I started x, many programs where not working properly, and things looked a little unfinished (if you know what I mean). I was quite disappointed. Anyway I am hoping that it was just my hardware.
If anyone else gets a chance to try it, I would love to know what you think.

0 comments: