Sunday, June 17, 2007

Looking at Ubuntu 7.04

I have decided to take a look at Ubuntu 7.04: Feisty Fawn. My partner Daz has been using it for a couple of weeks, and he said that he is reasonable happy with it. He said that it's not good nor bad, it just seems to work.

I just finished installing it on my computer. The installer was dodgy. After the install finished I rebooted, the system did a file system check, which failed, it booted again. Did another file system check then continued booting properly. I thought that I must have done a dodgy install, so I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled, but with the exact same results.
Yet after the final fsck I haven't had any further issues.

First impressions are; the system seems slow. Even sitting here typing now I am typing way faster than the words are appearing on the screen. The system seems to wait and be particularly slow when Firefox is open. Overall it feels very heavy.

Yet nothing has gone wrong yet. All of my hardware was detected and appears to be working. Everything else looks really good.
I'm excited to see what the view will be like from here.

0 comments: