Saturday, November 03, 2007

Fix for No Splash in Ubuntu 7.10

After installing Ubuntu 7.10 there is no splash screen displayed at startup nor at shutdown. I just get a 'Signal Out of Range' message from my monitor.
A program called usplash controls this process, so I looked into it's configuration, the values were totally off for my monitor, which uses a resolution of: 1024x768.
By default the file looks like:
# Usplash configuration file
xres=1280
yres=1024

I edited the file:
# sudo gedit /etc/usplash.conf
I changed the xres to: xres=1024 and the yres to: yres=768.
Then I reconfigured the usplash program with the new settings:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash
Problem fixed, now the splash image displays both at startup and shutdown.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I had a similiar problem with my laptop that only displays at 1024x768. Now everything is perfect.

Kris said...

Awesome, I'm glad it worked for you :-)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant - thanks!

Kris said...

No Worries :-)