Monday, October 22, 2007

Running Nautilus as Super User

Many times in Ubuntu I've needed to move a file, or add new data to a file only to find out that I don't have high enough permissions to do so. Normally this means hitting Alt+F2 to run a command and then typing # gksu nautilus, or in a terminal typing # sudo nautilus. However there is a trick I use, which makes things much easier.

I add a menu item which runs the gksu nautilus command, and it's really easy to do.

  1. Open System --> Preferences --> Main Menu.
  2. Select "System Tools" from the list of Menus
  3. Click the "New Item" button on the right hand side.
  4. The Create Launcher box will open, fill in the boxes like this:
  5. Now click OK, and close the Menu Editor.
  6. You should now be able to select: Applications --> System Tools --> Root Nautilus, fill in your password and have a full permissions with nautilus running as Super User.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks usefull!

Kris said...

Glad you found this useful. I love having this link in my menu :D