Saturday, October 20, 2007

No Window Borders in Ubuntu 7.10

When running compiz on Ubuntu 7.10 using an nVidia graphics card, with the restricted nVidia drivers installed, I loose my window borders (titlebars). There is however a temporary fix, which works just fine for me:

First make a back-up of your xorg.conf file, even though the nvidia-xconfig program makes it's own backup, it's never a bad practice to backup your files before editing them:
# sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.BAK
Now enable the nvida glx graphics using the following command:
# sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" added to Screen "Default Screen".
Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Now shutdown your computer then start again, fully restarting the system you should be able to switch compiz to normal or extras with window borders.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the hint! It solved the problem for me.
As you can see, this bug has been there for a long time: allready.

Kris said...

No worries Brammeleman, I'm glad it helped.

Anonymous said...

Worked great....another bug-be-gone!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't work.

Anonymous said...

Thank you a-lot

you rock!

ps: i'll give this link to some folks wo have the same issue. Hope you don't mind.

Kris said...

I'm glad this helped you out!
I don't mind at all if you share my link, go for it =D

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much.
That fixed the issue I was having.