Wednesday, November 22, 2006

OpenBSD Desktop

After backing up my data, and rebooting yesterday I decided to go for an OpenBSD Desktop.
It should be fun, and it will help me to learn heaps more about the system.
So I am sitting her at the moment in lynx. Which works quite well in blogger beta.
I am really enjoying OpenBSD so far, I feel comfortable, even though I have a lot to learn. I am finding answers to my problems very quickly.

I know that there are probably much faster and more effiecent ways of operating OpenBSD, but these are all things that I need to learn.
I miss the mouse in the commandline. Sounds strange I know, yet I got really used to it in FreeBSD
I am currently Installing gnome and playing around with other settings.
My aim is to try to get a nice easy to use desktop environment, I may need to add a few little gui tools, I will see how I go. For now I am having fun learning.
Have a good day :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen any GNOME tools, but out on there internet there are a few small guis to common things for KDE.

Kris said...

Thank you, I have had a bit of a look around, and your right there isn't a lot there. I think that I might go with FreeBSD as a desktop, and keep OpenBSD for my Firewall and servers. It makes more sence to me.

Anonymous said...

The big problem, if it is right to call it one, is that OpenBSD work well on the command line. Since it does, noone bothers to really do any extra development of GUI tools, they're redundant and may or may not be up to date with the functionality of the real tools.

OpenBSD just does the command line so well that it's users don't tend to look for much in the way of graphics.

Kris said...

You are certainly right there. I am loving the command line experience in OpenBSD. The man pages have to be some of the best that I have ever read.
I have been looking around at other Desktop options. I would like to do some GUI development, Well at least try.

OpenBSD 101 said...

Interesting blog.

I'm not sure I fully understand your "I miss the mouse in the commandline" comment but ... for OBSD:

/etc/rc.conf add this:
wsmoused_flags=YES

And you will have full use (along with ctrl-c and ctrl-v) of your mouse at the command line only (no starting up X).

My OBSD desktop:

http://www.openbsd101.com/misc/openbsd_desktop.html

Though I've mainly been running fluxbox of late. Very fast and more pretty than gnome or kde.

Interesting blog.

Kris said...

Thanks for your kind comments.
I was learning about wsmoused(8) just the other day, so thank you for mentioning it.

I Love your Desktop. It is really nice. Now I'm glad that I didn't wipe my Hard-Disk, Thanks. I have been looking at fluxbox, and Enlightenment.
Mainly because I decided I want something light.
I Love your website: OpenBSD101 as well. I have been getting heaps got great information there.
I hope that my blog continues to interest you!

Anonymous said...

Hi ,
really great experience ,
would you please lead me how to install Gnome on Open BSD ,

Thanks a lot

Ziad

Kris said...

Hiya Ziad,

This is certainly a post that I will look into developing for you and my other readers. Should make an interesting read.
Have Fun =D